Friday 12 March 2010

Evaluation of Coursework

Overall I felt our group worked very hard over the several weeks in order to create a realistic teaser trailer, poster and magazine cover. We researched lot of these types of media in order to fit the conventions and make them look effective and realistic. I felt reseach helped us lot in deciding how to layout our three types of media as we looked at upcoming trailers, posters and magazines. Without this research we wouldnt have made our medias look realistic as we wouldnt have followed the correct conventions. We had many problems with creating these medias, including failures to upload, disagreements on the colours of our magazines and Pinnacle not doing what we had in mind for our teaser trailer. The magazine was time consuming as we kept changing it, one lesson we would like the layout and colour scheme, then we would look back and want to change it. I am sure if we had longer to do our coursework our final magazine cover would still not stay the same. However I am happy with the layout of our magazine cover and felt it looks a lot better now after we made it less busy and easy to read. One thing I would change is the colour scheme, as it was not my idea to have red, green and white. I would have tried different colours until I felt happy. However we agreed on the colour scheme as the colours fitted our colours for our poster and fonts for or teaser trailer. I felt this did work well as i did not want these colours as it lead to continuity throughout our three pieces of media.

Overall i felt our posters looked good, although our film poster wasn't our original idea, due to lack of lighting we were not able to do what we wanted. This was lead to lack of planning, if we had booked the studio previously we would have been able to have time to fix lighting and continue with our original idea. I have learnt to be more organised when planning our posters as the image needs a lot of time to portray to how we want it to look. However I feel the house does portray a narrative to where the film will be situated. If i could change the poster I would have swapped the images from our teaser poster to our film poster as feel the image of Grace was more narrative for our film poster. We have now swapped the poster images over as we felt th poster portrays more narrative with Grace as the image rather than the house. Also i would have used a camera from home as i feel the images are not as clear as I would have liked them. Now i know we could have been more prepared and tested out different cameras in order to get the best qualtiy image as we could. I am happy with our posters and feel they fit the conventions of real film posters.

I am happy with our teaser trailer as I feel it fits all the conventions. It doesn't give too much narrative away and viewers can still have ideas about what is going to happen. If I could change our trailer I would make sure I used a lot more camera angles etc to make the film look more professional. However as this was made to look like a home video we didn't use many camera angles on purpose. Also i feel the fonts could have been made to look more proffessional, we thought we were happy with the ones supplied on Word, however when we saw other groups fonts they had found on the Internet, they looked more proffessional. This i felt we should have definately done.

Overall i feel our three media types look good and fit the conventions of real film posters, teaser trailer and magazine covers. I would like to do this again as I feel I could put a lot more skills into my work as I have more experience now. I have learnt how to use Pinnacle a lot better now, as I can use transitions and other devices on the programme. I also have learnt the conventions of all of the medias and I feel I could do a lot more now to recreate these types of medias.

1 comment:

  1. Some points:
    - summarise the effect of that research on your decisions and whether they worked.
    - acknowledge that you had other ideas by all means but also say why you agreed to compromise on the colours you did use and WHY?
    - explain why the lack of lighting problem existed? Bad planning or unavoidable problems? What did this teach you?
    - you have changed the poster - say why.
    - why is it an effective teaser rather than proper trailer?
    - acknowledge that you wanted to make it look like a home video not BE a home video so you could have had more variety of angles to show your skills. Discuss this and why you didn't.
    - Give a frank and honest appreciation and evaluation of your products here too.
    Mrs H

    ReplyDelete